Saturday, September 08, 2007

Look What They Give Us In Nursing School.


Anyone want a shot?
Ok, so we haven't practiced those yet, but we're getting there.
This week we're working on basic patient care return demonstrations. I feel like I'm in CNA class all over again. There's nothing better than laying in bed while a group of people are standing around you, practicing range of motion, turning you, positioning you, "diapering" you, putting you on a bedpan, helping you from the bed to the wheelchair, etc. We have to practice on each other and check each other off. I've gotten to know several of my fellow student nurses very well through this. :o) It's been such a fun week.
I can't wait to do wound care on real people. Dummies' wounds aren't very exciting. I can't wait to do my very first wound debridement. Clinicals start in 2 weeks!
I love nursing school.
I have a job now. I start on Friday. Since my CNA license is for the state of Illinois, I can't work as one here in Kansas. I have to take the exam here first, which I've applied to take. The thing is, I probably won't get it until November because of the long pending process.
By that time, I will have almost completed first semester and can start applying for a Nurse Tech position in a hospital. I don't know if it's really worth applying as a CNA, but I'm doing it anyway. In the meantime I'll be working 1 or 2 days a week(depending on my school load) as a Ward Aid in a nursing/rehab center. I'll pretty much just be doing odd jobs, like filing, stocking nursing supplies, etc. But it's something and much better than working around food in a restaurant or something. Blegh.
Week 3: complete.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kirby said...

You make such a cute nurse! I'm glad you are enjoying your classes. My best friend is in nursing, so I know it isn't easy.

9/09/2007 2:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aubrie- I'm real glad that everything is going well you can see that this was in God's plan for you to go to Kansas. Those shots look like they might hurt. What are the shots used for?


Your Friend
Randy

9/10/2007 9:19 PM  
Blogger Lady Fair said...

They're for practicing on you, Randy! Just wait till I get home!

Just kidding. :oP We do have to practice giving injections to eachother, though. That's why they give us those.

9/11/2007 9:38 AM  
Blogger Lizzie Bennett said...

My mom had to practice drawing blood from her classmates, and they on her. Mmmm, I like being a Production Artist. There isn't any pain involved with that—unless you count stiff shoulders from sitting at the computer all day, or achy legs from walking around the Graph Expo trade show. Ow. But I don't expect those things, so it's not as bad as knowing that I'm going to go to class today and get shots from inexperienced nurses in training! Aaaahhhh!

9/11/2007 1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aubrie-
Just make sure you dont' miss and stab me in the heart or in the leg like a friend who's name I won't name did stab me once in the leg with an Epi Pen. Ha, just kidding. (:

Randy

9/11/2007 8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there,

Do they still start you out and practice on oranges? That's what I've heard, is that true?

Have you checked out craver's blog site? Check it out - -
http://craver-vii.blogspot.com/

9/17/2007 11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Aubs, Thanks for bloggin'. Of course your ma's been keeping me up on you from her point of view. I'm praying for 'you and Kara' :D
So sorry you'd been sick...welcome to college. I had "mono" the first semester...they bumped up all my grades one higher so I managed to pass and they let me stay hahaha but true. The only other class I had trouble with was BASIC computer but you'll have to call to get that story. Love you, RJ

9/18/2007 8:54 PM  
Blogger Lizzie Bennett said...

Hmmm, someone must be so busy practicing nursing stuff that they don't have time to update...or is it the job? ;) Hehehe. But look at the pot calling the kettle black! I haven't updated either! I'll do it right away!

love you and miss you!

9/19/2007 9:52 PM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Lizzie, I think she stuck her typing fingers with a syringe. Ouch! I hate it when that happens.

9/21/2007 3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aubrie-
When are you going to have a new post to your blog out of currosity.

Randy

9/29/2007 5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Aubrie, I was looking for something you might write about your grandpa. He was so very sweet to me. He was such a loving man. The world will certainly not be the same without him. I've been cryin' and praying for your family,for your trip, and all. Love, Awnt RJ

9/29/2007 9:55 PM  
Blogger Lizzie Bennett said...

I miss you Aubsie! And I'm praying for you and your family...

10/01/2007 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home