Monday, September 03, 2007

Little Faith.




Well, tomorrow begins week 3 of nursing school.

This week has been a trying week for me. I've had the biggest load of homework and I've been sick. I can't remember the last time I've been that sick. I had a fever 2 nights and my body ached for 3 days. I was on antipyretics(aka tylenol and motrin) and they didn't work. I felt so terrible those 2 nights, I seriously prayed that God would either help me feel better or let me die. Well, He did help me feel better. I went to school each of the following mornings. I just felt tired and achy, but not feverish.
Anyway, that put me behind on my homework and that stressed me out even more. And I missed home and my family and my friends.

But I'm better now. This weekend has been kind of boring. I'm tired of reading and studying. I've been trying to follow Lizzie's instructions and take breaks and make some time for myself so I don't become a psychostudyholic. She said reading my Bible doesn't count, I have to do something else. So I watched Mansfield Park with Grandma on Saturday night. That's one of my favorite movies and Grandma really enjoyed it, too. Yesterday after church, I finished the book I started reading last month. Sad, I know. Today I baked cookies and went out for lunch with my cousin Candace.

Other than that, my life is currently a boring, sad existence consisting mostly of school and homework. I have to say though, I'm looking forward to starting again tomorrow.

Here's a cool story.
I'm on a tight budget. I have some money for future tuition payments, gas to get to and from school and church, and some extra in case of an emergency. Not much for anything else.
I've made some commitments to financially support some ministries. I also have a sponsor child. Well, as time passes and my bank account is getting smaller, and I don't have a job, I was starting to worry. I didn't think I was going to have money to support my ministries.

Then, at church last Sunday, the message happened to be on giving. I was reminded that tithing and giving to support the Church(in the bigger sense-the body of believers) was a spiritual realm. We ask God how much he wants us to give, then we trust him, even if we don't know how we're going to get by. And we're not just giving to give. We don't plant seeds not expecting anything to grow from them. We don't give to God not expecting Him to use it for His glory.

He read this verse, Malachi 3:10 "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the Lord Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour so much blessing that you will not have enough room for it."

Ouch. Of course I felt convicted. I wasn't trusting God to provide for me, much less for these ministries. So I prayed. And started writing checks. It's gut wrenching to write checks and not know where you're going to get the money to pay for everything. Gulp. But I'm not going to worry-I'm trusting God.

Then today I was checking my balance. I was suddenly $500+ richer. What?! Well, apparently, my previous place of employment paid me some vacation hours a couple weeks late. I thought they had given it to me already. Is that cool, or what?

I think God is trying to show me that He's way bigger than I give Him credit for sometimes. He's pretty amazing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the God we serve! He gives generously out of His great abundance of love and grace, not because we deserve it, but simply because He loves to pour down blessings on those who don't deserve them! I love that passage from Malachi. It reveals just a small portion of the character of God. He is a God who just loves to be trusted! He just loves it when we, acting in faith, lay everything we have on the line, trusting in His goodness. And I'm not just talking about money here. When we trust God in anything, we can be sure that He will come through in the end, blessing us with even more than we could have ever expected.I love you Aubs! Proverbs 3:5-6!!
-Talon

9/03/2007 8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Proud of you Aubrie. Well stated Black Talon! Amen!

9/03/2007 10:14 PM  
Blogger Lizzie Bennett said...

That's cool! Yoiu didn't even have to wait a long time to see God pour out His blessings on you! And Black Talon is right, it doesn't just come in blessing of sweet moolah. I'm glad you're trying to take my advice :) A little R&R never hurt anyone. In fact, it makes them better! Next week you can watch Sense & Sensibility, unless you get REALLY bored; then it's time to crack open the 5 hour long Pride & Prejudice. And I think you made me sick via the phone! I suddenly felt very sick at work today, right before 4:30. And I was on my motorcycle today too. So I went to the secret room and slept on the bed until Dad came and picked me up. I drove the Caddie, he drove the Blue Streak. I feel better now. I think it was some bad lunch. Last night we watched Cars on Rob's big screen. You should've been there. I miss you!!! It was weird to have a long weekend where I didn't hang out with you. I took a motorcycle ride with Dena, Dad, and Dan though. Plus, I know what you were taunting me with on Sunday night when I talked with you while I played Rummikub in NC :)
love, Lizzie

9/04/2007 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home