Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Saga Continues...


I don't think Monday can come fast enough. I cannot wait to get started. I've even began my first reading assignment that we need to have read before Tuesday's lecture. Yeah, I'm nuts.
Wednesday night was orientation. It was put on by nursing students, which was really helpful. They told us what to expect, what to focus on, what not to worry about, everything they wished that they knew before they started.

And you should see their labs. Amazing is an understatement. They have these human patient simulators on which you can practice bp's, iv's, catheterizations, pulse and resp, the list goes on. There are rooms set up to look like they're from different units in the hospital, each with their own equipment and human simulator. Unfortunately, we won't be in that lab very often first semester. We'll be learning the basics first. I'm glad I have CNA experience, though. They'll be teaching us patient care skills at first, which I know how to do already.

The instructors seem really nice too. We met two of them on Wednesday, and we'll meet the rest on Monday. They seem very personable and happy to teach.

I'm so excited!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie Bennett said...

Happy first day of nursing school! I'm praying that it goes well for you!

8/20/2007 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that is really cool all the stuff that you can do on those patient simulators!!! I didn't know that kind of thing existed, I always figured new nurses just had to practice on people and if they messed up well OOPS! That is quite a relief to know that nurses get to practice on patient simulators.

8/22/2007 11:19 AM  
Blogger Lady Fair said...

Yeah, they're nice. But I guess not all nursing schools have them. Apparently Butler is the only school in the state with high tech ones like these. We're lucky(or I should say our patients at clinicals are!). Some people have to practice on very brave patient volunteers.
Be happy you aren't one of them. :o)

8/22/2007 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home