Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Biloxi, Mississippi

We just got back from an amazing trip to Biloxi. We worked with Samaritan's Purse to help rebuild houses destroyed by Katrina back in August '05. After almost 10 months, you wouldn't believe how much damage there still is. Our project during the week was to work on drywalling a house. It was such a great experience. We had an awesome team. It was hot, sweaty, hard work, but it was so worth it. I had such an amazing time there and I got to know my friends better. It was so amazing to see God work that week.

One thing that I found to be overwhelming was sitting outside early in the morning during my personal devotion time. I could see the ocean in front of me and I was surrounded by devastation. It was everywhere you looked. You couldn't escape it no matter where you went. But I was overwhelmed by His presence. God still revealed his sovereignty and love for his people in the midst of it all. And to see the hearts of the people there drawn to the love of Christ was so moving. They might even knowingly reject Jesus, but they can't help but be drawn to his love.


Here's our team. It's 9:30pm Sunday night and we're all packed up and ready to leave for Biloxi.
(top l-r) Keren, Elaine, Heather, Me, Dena, Rob
(bottom l-r) Pastor John, Dan, Randy




This cemetery was amazing.












At the camp packing up for a day's work.








I was loving the power tools.










Out to eat at a highly recommended Catfish restaurant




That was one small closet.


Here we are on our last day in our almost completely drywalled house.
(clockwise from top left: Elaine, Rob, Dan, Me, Pastor John, Dena, Heather, Randy, and Keren)

6 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie Bennett said...

Hey! We'll have two similar blogs! Those pictures are great. (I wonder who took some of them?) Now, I have a complee wardrobe made up of Samaritan's Purse t-shirts. Cool, huh? I can't wait to see the pictures Keren has... Oh.. Yoda I be. May the force be with you... Oh! I fell...

love, Lizzie

P.S.- Think on this verse:
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."
-Joshua 1:8

6/20/2006 6:37 PM  
Blogger paroikeo said...

I wish I could have been there with you all.

I miss you Aubrie!
It has now been over a week and a half since I've seen you!

6/21/2006 12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just to let you know that your post has been included in today's edition of The Carnival of Hurricane Relief:

http://www.cehwiedel.com/blogs/traces/?p=1080

If you have further posts related to helping out on the Gulf Coast, kindly consider submitting them to CoHR.

Sincerely,

cehwiedel
"Carnival of Hurricane Relief"
http://www.cehwiedel.com/cohr/

6/22/2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger Kirby said...

Wow, I can't believe how much damage is still there! That is awesome that you guys gave your time and effort to help out.

6/22/2006 9:42 PM  
Blogger Lizzie Bennett said...

You're so popular!

How are you today? I was kind of sad that I didn't get to see or talk to you much while you were at my house last night. Oh well, such is life, I guess. We can't always have things the way we want them, can we? I suppose I'll have to get used to it. Not too much I can do about that.

Have a nice trip this weekend! I'll see you when you get back.

love, Lizzie

6/23/2006 10:55 AM  
Blogger Halfmom said...

Glad you shared the pictures. I also wish I could have been with you.

6/24/2006 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home